Sunday, July 3, 2011

Day 12: Positano: Amalfi Coast, Italy

Blogged by: Kenzie

Hellooooo Positano!!! This place is magical!! Woke up this morning super late- our room has no windows so is super dark. I didn't even know how tired I was until I slept for a solid 11 hours. We planned to go to the Amalfi Coast in the middle of our trip because we guessed it would be nice to have a few beach days before heading up North for the last 2 weeks. We were right!!

We headed down to the beach first thing after waking up. The beach has black sand and is very rocky, so we found the man who gives hostel-stayers a deal on chairs. We spent the majority of the day swimming and reading- there is a little pack of people from our hostel who take up a row of chairs along the beach.






We returned home around dinner time and ate pizza at the little spot across the street from our hostel. Positano is built on a hill, so literally ever building has an INCREDIBLE view. It's basically impossible to charge more for the view that everyone has so we enjoyed a 4 euro pizza overlooking a priceless view of the sea. The waiter was VERY worried about how I pronounced the word "grazie" and he would correct me every time he brought food- but again... 4 euro pizza so I'm not complaining!

We had been hearing all day about a festival up the mountain that promised fireworks. We were already sad about missing 4th of July festivities, so we weren't about to miss a fireworks show. We caught the 10:30 bus up the mountain with some friends from our hostel to montepertuso, an adorable town decked out in twinkle lights for the festival. The town is built in a mountain with a hole cut out in the rock. The Catholic town believes that the Virgin Mary had a showdown with the devil and sent him through the hole in the rock.

The bus ride was hilariously frightening as we maneuvered between Vespas while making life threatening turns around the tiny road that skirts the mountain. I road standing at the front of the bus, and one stop slammed me into the front window! One time our bus driver actually had to stop the bus, get out, and move a scooter that blocked our way.








At the festival we walked around, ate Nutella crepes, and watched quite a theatrical production of fireworks which included sound effects and fireworks being shot out of caves in the mountain. I would basically compare it to a fair that is in a mountain town.

I actually had a bit of a slump today- it was probably 80% tiredness, but when I told my mom about it (via our iPhone app called whatsapp, which I highly recommend to any international communicators) she told me to pray through it. Thanks mom, because while praying I was reminded of two things:
1) I am so lucky to have Keni here with me- we can talk about any slump days and encourage each other through them. She is really a blessing from the Lord, and I'm so glad I'm here with her.
2) I was reminded how constant the Lord is- I'm moving from place to place and it's easy to think there's nothing constant about being here. That's not true!! God is a constant I have even when I dont have that feeling of "home," and it's the ultimate encouragement to rely on that.

Thinking about Catherine who went to Pine Cove today to work as a counselor for the next 6 weeks. Thinking about ya, Sis!! You're in my thoughts and prayers and I know you have an incredible summer in front of you.

We have decided to make a change to our itinerary. Our good friend, Mary Cameron, is in Paris for the year studying at Le Cordon Bleu cooking school. We have decided to head to Paris on July 18 till 20 and stay with her. On the 20 we will get Keni to Brussels for her flight and I will head back to Paris again. Should be really fun!!

Miss you all!
-kenz and keni

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment